DIET AND HEALTH IN THE BIBLE
ORIGINAL BIBLE DIET :
In the beginning before man sinned:
GENESIS 1:29 "Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed,
which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the
fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."
The following explanation of Genesis 1:29 is given according to foods as
we know them today:
- EVERY HERB BEARING SEED... (a seed plant which does not develop woody
- GRAINS - wheat, corn, rye, barley, rice, oats, millet, etc.
- SEEDS - sunflower, sesame, flax, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- LEGUMES - soybeans, lentils, peas, peanuts, other beans, etc.
- SUCCULENT FOODS CONTAINING SEED - eggplant, okra, bell peppers,
squash, green beans, pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatoes, melons, etc.
- ... and EVERY TREE, in the which is THE FRUIT OF A TREE YIELDING SEED
..... (a woody perennial plant, shrub, or bush).
- FRUITS - citrus fruits, sweet fruits, palm fruits, etc.
- NUTS - almonds, pecans, cashews, brazil, walnuts, etc.
After man sinned, he was driven out of the Garden of Eden, and no
longer had access to the wonderful tree of life. Man had to gain his livelihood
by tilling the earth, and the "herb of the field" (originally food for the
animals) was added to his diet.
GENESIS 1:30 ... "And to every beast of the earth and to every fowl of
the air, and to everything that creepth upon the earth, in which there is life,
I have given every green herb for meat; and it was so."
GENESIS 3:17-19 "And unto Adam He said, Because thou hast harkened unto
the voice of thy wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you,
saying, 'You shall not eat of it':
- Cursed is the ground for your sake;
- In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.
- Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
- And you shall eat the herb of the field.
- In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the
- Leaf: beet greens, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard, etc
- Flower: globe artichoke, broccoli, cauliflower.
- Root: carrots, beets, potatoes, turnips, etc.
Although vegetables (green herb) were not part of the Original Diet
given to man, they were added to man's diet after he sinned and are part of his
FLESH MEAT?? - MAN'S FOOD??
At the time of the flood the earths soil and climate was dramatically
altered. In many places on earth it would not be possible to obtain enough food
from plant sources during all times of the year. It was at this time that God
gave man permission to each animal flesh. Yet even in this God gave instruction
that the blood must be drained from the carcass before eating it.
GENESIS 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for
you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall
not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
At the time of the flood, Noah was instructed by God to take
seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of
animals that are unclean, a male and his female (Genesis 7:2-3).
Later God gave instruction to Moses and Aaron giving permission to eat the
flesh of clean animals, but not that of unclean. And once again, the eating of
blood was prohibited.
LEVITICUS 11:1-30 "And the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to
them, 'Speak to the children of Israel, saying, ''These are the animals
which you may eat among all the beasts that are on the earth:
- (MAMMALS) Among the beasts, whatever divides the hoof, having
cloven hooves and chewing the cud that you may eat.
- Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud
or those that have cloven hooves:
- the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves,
is unclean to you;
- the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven
hooves, is unclean to you;
- the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves,
is unclean to you;
- and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven
hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
- Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not
touch. They are unclean to you. (Isa. 66:17)
- (FISH) These you may eat of all that are in the water: whatever in
the water has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers that
you may eat.
- But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and
scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water,
they are an abomination to you.
- They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh,
but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination. (This would include
oysters, shrimp, clams, lobster, turtle, and catfish.)
- Whatever in the water does not have fins or scales - that shall be an
abomination to you.
- (FOWL) And these you shall regard as an abomination among the
birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination:
- the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard, the kite, and the falcon after
its kind; every raven after its kind, the ostrich, the short-eared owl, the sea
gull, and the hawk after its kind; the little owl, the fisher owl, and the
screech owl; the white owl, the jackdaw, and the carrion vulture; the stork,
the heron after its kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
- (INSECTS) All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be
an abomination to you.
- Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all
fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the
- These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying
locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after
- But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an
abomination to you. ......
- (RODENTS, REPTILES) These also shall be unclean to you among the
creeping things that creep on the earth: the mole, the mouse, and the large
lizard after its kind; The gecko, the monitor lizard, the sand reptile, the
sand lizard, and the chameleon.'"
DEUTERONOMY 14:3-21 Clean and unclean animal foods are reviewed, with
the addition of the deer, the gazelle, the roe deer, the wild goat, the
mountain goat, the antelope, and the mountain sheep to the list of clean meat.
is "You shall not eat any detestable thing.
SCAVENGER ANIMALS AND CARNIVOROUS ANIMALS
NOT TO BE USED FOR FOOD
It is impossible for the flesh of any living creature to be wholesome
when filth is its natural element, and when it feeds upon every detestable
EAT NO ANIMAL FAT
LEVITICUS 7:23-24 "And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 'Speak to the
children of Israel, saying: You shall not eat any fat, of ox or sheep or
goat. And the fat of a beast that dies naturally, and the fat of what is torn
by wild animals, may be used in any other way; but you shall by no means eat
EAT NO BLOOD
GENESIS 9:3 . . . but you shall not eat flesh with its life, that
is, its blood.
LEVITICUS 7:26-27 "'Moreover you shall not eat any blood in any of your
dwellings, whether of bird or beast. Whoever eats any blood, that person shall
be cut off from his people.'"
- NOTE: Let me say here that I do believe in giving blood
transfusions to someone who is going to die or be severely anemic without this
life-saving measure. The command forbids the eating of meat with the blood, not
saving lives with it. I have met too many people who would forbid a blood
transfusion, but think nothing of eating a juicy steak.
DANIEL AND HIS COMPANIONS
REFUSED THE KINGS MEAT
DANIEL 1:8 (When Daniel and his three companions were carried to Babylon
as captives) But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile
himself with the portion of the kings meat, not with the wine which he
- The kings meat would have included unclean meats,
flesh with the blood and fat, and also foods first offered to idols.
DANIEL 1:12 (They requested that they be allowed to eat vegetables and
water for ten days.) Please test you servants for ten days; and let them
give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then let our countenances be
examined before you, and the countenances of the young men who eat the portion
of the kings delicacies; and as you see fit, so deal with your
DANIEL 1:15 "And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared
better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the
DANIEL 1:18-20 (At the end of the three year period during which they
were to learn the Caldean language) Now at the end of the days, when the
king had said that they should be brought in, the chief of the eunuchs brought
them in before nebuchadnezzar. Then the king interviewed them, and among them
all none was found like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they
served before the king. And in all matters of wisdom and understanding about
which the king examined them, he found them ten times betterthan all the
magicians and astrologers who were in all his realm.
YOU ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD
I CORINTHIANS 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever
you do, do all to the glory of God."
I CORINTHIANS 3:16, 17 "Do you not know that you are the temple of God
and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God,
God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are."
I CORINTHIANS 6:19, 20 "Or do you not know that your body is the temple
of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your
own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in
your spirit, which are God's."
There are two kinds of wine spoken of in the Bible. One of these was
the juice of the grape, and was pressed from the fruit into the cup as it was
needed to drink (Genesis 40:11). It is this kind that is said to cheer God and
man (Judges 9:13), and is dried up when the vine is destroyed (Joel 1:10-12).
The other kind was that which had stood until it fermented, and alcohol had
formed from the decaying substance.
Did not Paul recommend the use of wine under certain
- "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake,
and thine often infirmities." I TIM 5:23
How is the first kind of wine spoken of?
- "Butter of kine, and milk of sheep, with fat of lambs, and rams of
the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the fat of kidneys of wheat; and thou
didst drink the PURE BLOOD OF THE GRAPE." DEUT. 32:14
How is the second kind of wine represented?
- "Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color
in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent,
and stingeth like an adder." PROV 23:31, 32
- NOTE: That is, when it moves upright; as in the process of
fermentation, it may be seen moving from the bottom upward. The original word
here used aright- means something "upright."
- It was Christ who, in the Old Testament, gave the warning to Israel,
"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is
not wise." (Proverbs 20:1). I do not believe that Christ provided such a
beverage. Fermentation is a symbol of decay, and of sin. How could something
which is decaying represent the blood of the spotless Son of God?
- Satan tempts men to indulgence that will cloud reason and numb
spiritual perception, but Christ teaches us to bring the lower nature into
subjection. His whole life was an example of self-denial. It was Christ who
directed that John the Baptist drink neither wine nor strong drink (LUKE 1:15).
It was He who enjoined similar abstinence upon the wife of Manoah (Judges 4:4).
- PROVERBS. 23:29-32
- Who hath woe?
- who hath sorrow?
- who hath contentions?
- who hath babbling?
- who hath wounds without cause?
- Who hath redness of eyes?
- They that tarry long at the wine;
- They that go to seek mixed wine;
- Look not thou upon the wine when it is red,
- When it giveth his color in the cup,
- When it moveth itself aright.
- At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an
- Where can we find a more vivid picture of the debasement and the
slavery of the victim of alcohol. Even when awakened to a sense of his misery,
he has no power to break from the snare; he "will seek it yet again."
- (Proverbs 23:35)
- ISAIAH 5:22 "Woe to men mighty at drinking wine, Woe to men valiant
for mixing intoxicating drink."
- ISAIAH 28:1,2
- Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim,
- Whose glorious beauty is a fading flower
- Which is at the head of the verdant valleys,
- To those who are overcome with wine!
- Behold, the Lord has a mighty and strong arm,
- Like a tempest of hail and a destroying storm,
- Like a flood of mighty waters overflowing,
- Who will bring them down to the earth with His hand."
- JUDGES 13:4 "Now therefore, please be careful not to drink wine or
similar drink, and not to eat any unclean thing."
- JUDGES 13:7 "And He said to me, 'Behold, you shall conceive and bear
a son. Now drink no wine or similar drink, nor eat anything unclean,.... "
- ISAIAH 24:9 "They shall not drink wine with a song; Strong drink is
bitter to those who drink it."
- ISAIAH 28:7 "But they also have erred through wine, And through
intoxicating drink are out of the way; The priest and the prophet have erred
through intoxicating drink, They are swallowed up by wine, They are out of
the way through intoxicating drink; They err in vision, they stumble in
judgment. For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, So that no place
- HABAKKUK 2:15,16 "Woe to him who gives drink to his neighbor,
Pressing him to your bottle, Even to make him drunk, That you may look on his
nakedness! You are filled with shame instead of glory. You also - drink! And be
exposed as uncircumcised! The cup of the Lord's right hand will be turned
against you, And utter shame will be on your glory.
- Can a drunkard enter the kingdom of God?
- "Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor
extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." I CORINTHIANS
- How, then, should a Christian regard one who persists in
- "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any
man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a
railer, or a drunkard." I CORINTHIANS 5:11
III JOHN 2 "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper in
health, even as thy soul prospereth."
EXODUS 15:26 "If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord
thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his
commandments, and keep all his statues, I will put none of these diseases
upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that
- This promise was given to the Israelites when Moses led them out
of Egypt. God proceeded to give Moses a number of commandments, which form part
of our Bible today. Because these divinely given medical directions were
altogether different from those in the Papyrus Ebers (Egyptian royal court
remedies). From the record we discover that Moses had so much faith in God's
regulations that he did not incorporate a single current medical misconception
into the inspired instructions.
Some rules of Sanitation found in the Bible:
LEVITICUS 13:46 "All the days wherein the plague shall be in him he
shall be defiled; he is unclean: he shall dwell alone; without the camp shall
his habitation be."
Early in the Middle Ages the dreaded disease leprosy had killed
countless millions of people; and later the Black Death took another sixty
million. Not until the physicians of the day gave up leadership to the church
was the plague brought under control. The church took as its guiding principle
the concept of contagion as embodied in the Old Testament, Leviticus.
DEUTERONOMY 23:12,13 "You shall set off a place outside the camp and,
when you go out; and you shall have an implement among your equipment, and when
you sit down outside, you shall dig with it and turn and cover your
- Up to the close of the eighteenth century, hygienic provisions,
even in the great capitals, were quite primitive. It was the rule for excrement
to be dumped into the streets which were unpaved and filthy. Powerful stenches
gripped villages and cities. It was a heyday for flies as they bred in the
filth and spread intestinal diseases that killed millions. Diseases such as
cholera, dysentery, and typhoid fever could have easily been controlled by
following God's provision in Deuteronomy. A medical historian writes that this
directive is "certainly a primitive measure, but an effective one, which
indicates advanced ideas of sanitation."
NUMBERS 19:11-22 "He who touches the dead body of anyone shall be
unclean seven days. ... Whoever touches the body of anyone who has died, and
does not purify himself, defiles the tabernacle of the Lord. That person shall
be cut off from Israel. He shall be unclean, because the water of purification
was not sprinkled on him; his uncleanness is still on him. ... The clean person
shall sprinkle the unclean on the third day and on the seventh day he shall
purify himself, wash his clothes, and bathe in water; and at evening he shall
If physicians would have only followed the above instructions early
in history many lives would have been saved. It was not until 1847, when Dr.
Semmelweis wrote a book about handwashing and changing clothes after doing
autopsies and surgeries before going to the next patient. When his rules were
followed mortality dropped by 80 percent.
Many centuries before Semmelweis, however, God gave to Moses detailed
instructions on the safest method for cleansing the hands after handling the
infected living. Proper modern method for washing hands is "The hands should be
vigorously lathered and rubbed together for at least 15 seconds under a
moderate-sized stream of water..
The scriptural method specified not merely washing in a basin, but
repeated washing in running water with time intervals allowed for drying and
exposure to sun to kill bacteria not washed off. The soap used is even more
remarkable. It was made by burning together in a fire the following: a young
cow, cedar wood, hyssop branches, and scarlet wool. The washing solution
contained an irritant, cedar-wood oil, that would encourage scrubbing; an
antiseptic, hyssop oil, that would kill bacteria and fungi; and a scrubbing
element, wool fibers, that would dislodge the bacteria. Even today, hospitals
often use a similar granular soap because it is difficult to remove granular
soap from the hands in less than 15 seconds.
How can circumcision of the male prevent cancer in women?
- A number of studies have borne out the fact that freedom from
cancer of the cervix was not due to factors such as race or food or
environment, but wholly to circumcision.
- If the tight, unretractable foreskin is not removed, proper
cleansing can not be readily performed. As a result many virulent bacteria,
including the cancer-producing Smegma bacillus, can grow profusely. During
sexual intercourse these bacteria are deposited on the cervix of the uterus,
but if the mucous membrane of the cervix is intact, little harm results.
However, if lacerations exist, as they frequently do after childbirth, these
bacteria can cause considerable irritation. Since any part of the body which is
subjected to irritation is susceptible to cancer, it is perfectly
understandable why cervical cancer is likely to develop in women whose mates
are not circumcised. These bacteria not only produce cancer in women, but also
irritate the male organ and may cause cancer of the penis. The extreme rarity
of penile cancer in circumcised men is shown by the fact that in 1955 only the
fourth case in medical history was reported. Thus we can say that circumcision
is an almost perfect prophylaxis against this deadly cancer.
- And to add to this protection from cervical injury, the Lord also
commanded the people of Israel to not have sexual intercourse during a woman's
monthly menses and right after childbirth. Both are times when the cervix is
soft, open, and susceptible to injury and infections.
- LEVITICUS 12:1-5 "Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying 'Speak to the
children of Israel, saying If a woman has conceived, and borne a male child,
then she shall be unclean seven days; as in the days of her customary
- she shall be unclean. And on the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin
shall be circumcised. She shall then continue in the blood of her purification
thirty-three days.... But if she bears a female child, then she shall be
unclean two weeks, as in her customary impurity, and she shall continue in the
blood of her purification sixty-six days.'"
- Not only does the practice of circumcision, God ordered Abraham to
institute four thousand years ago, save lives by preventing cancer; but there
is another remarkably unique fact about the matter of circumcision. After many
years of research and studies, it was found that newborn babies don't
manufacture vitamin K (an important blood-clotting element) in their intestinal
tract until the fifth to the seventh day. It is clear that the first safe day
to perform circumcision would be the eighth day, the very day that Jehovah
commanded Abraham to circumcise Isaac. A second element which is also necessary
for the normal clotting of blood is prothrombin. Pediatric textbooks reveal
that on the eighth day, prothrombin levels skyrockets to 110 per cent. It then
levels off to 100 per cent. It appears that an eight- day-old baby has more
available prothrombin than on any other day in its entire life. Thus one
observes that from a consideration of vitamin K and prothrombin determinations
the perfect day to perform a circumcision is the eighth day. Abraham did not
pick the eighth day after many centuries of trial-and-error experiments.
Neither he nor any of his company from the ancient city of Ur in the Chaldees
had ever been circumcised.It was a day picked by the Creator of vitamin
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine
In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy
Follow Gods direction for good health, long
life, and happiness.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]